Wednesday, November 6, 2013

The 5 Stages of Grief as Long Island Emo Bands



Probably the most important thing about growing up in Long Island during the early 2000’s is that I had the pleasure of growing up when local emo bands were enormously popular. 
Pictured: Long Island        Not Pictured: Sad White Dudes


As a middle schooler I avoided these bands like the plague because I didn’t want people to think I wasn’t metal (I was totally metal, I listened to Slipknot).


YEAH! I was cool!... Right?

But as high school approached - emotions, hormones, and the mall happened. The music from this Long Island scene became a big part of me. It may seem lame, and at this point certainly out of style, but these bands helped me get through some tough times. In fact they still do to this day.



Human beings are not well equipped to handle loss. Even if it’s just the breakup of a relationship, letting go is always difficult.  And damn, these bands were fucking great at writing about breakups. They were so good that I have their entire catalogs ripped and ready to go for whenever I have to deal with being “emo.”



But I wanted to be able to share this constructively. That is why I’ve compared these Long Island emo bands from the early 2000’s to the five stages of grief: Denial, Anger, Bargaining, Depression, and Acceptance. 



1)      Denial – Taking Back Sunday
Don’t believe me when I tell you, it’s just what anyone would do” – There’s No ‘I’ In Team

Taking Back Sunday embodies denial in many ways. Hell, even their name denies the existence of Monday as part of the week. Taking Back Sunday’s first album “Tell All Your Friends” may as well be the gospel of growing up in Long Island. It deals with teenage breakups that while on the surface seem superficial, really hurt those involve. After all you’re 14-years-old the only thing you’ve ever known in your life is that you suck at sports and girls/boys don’t like you. You have nothing to live for but to whine and complain about how things just CANNOT be this bad. But they are, and they get worse.


2)      Anger – Glassjaw
What causes my laughter at another’s disaster? It’s the bastard in me” – Lovebites and Razorlines

Glassjaw’s debut album “Everything You Ever Wanted To Know About Silence” may be the most vitriolic and excessive records of all time. Glassjaw’s not a band you listen to when you’re upset – they’re a band you listen to when you’re FUCKING PISSED OFF. The only type of pissed off that could be caused by a significant other betraying you. If you want to rip your ex’s head off and torch it, this is the right band for you. Glassjaw still tours today to sold out crowds mostly because there will always be people pissed off at their ex’s.


3)      Bargaining – Brand New
It’s time for you to choose, the bullet or the chapstick” – The Shower Scene

Brand New best represents bargaining because they had the most dynamic sound out of all these groups. With influences that ranged from hardcore to indie, they went from distorted pop punk riffs to borderline goth rock.  No matter what their style, we can all agree though that their best work deals with heart ache and despair. Their music makes you ask, “What did I do wrong? What else could I have done for you? WHY ARE YOU MAKING ME MISERABLE?” Pretty standard among these groups, but Brand New best represents the middle-ground of grief as they do have plenty of hopeful songs as well.

4)      Depression – From Autumn to Ashes
You’re nothing to me” – Reflections 

From Autumn to Ashes might have well have been a straight up metalcore group if it were not for their heart wrenching lyrical content. Their magnum opus, “Short Stories With Tragic Endies” is 9 minutes of shock and awe; it’s almost difficult to get through the song without feeling like your own life is over – but then you realize the song is just about the end of a relationship, and not about the end of life. Although it seems that way at the time, you will recover. Which brings me to my next point.



5)      Acceptance – Nightmare of You

A soaring dove – I’m quite sure this is love” – Ode to Serotonin

 

Although part of the Long Island scene, Nightmare of You had their own niche. They wrote songs about longing for love and dealing with loss, but there is more positivity to take from them then the rest of these groups. This is the group you listen to when you’re ready to move on. But in order to get to acceptance you to need to accept that things have sucked. Even though things have sucked, what have you learned? It’s okay to deny the pain at first. It’s okay to feel angry at certain aspects that went wrong. It’s okay to wonder what could have been. It’s even okay to feel miserable for a while. But love will find a way. And the best way to realize that is to curl up in your room like a teenager with your headphones on and get to your computer and write like a madman and let that inspiration flow through your fingertips. You’re not going to give up because someone left you. Love comes and goes, and people flow through your life non-stop. If you stay miserable, you’re gonna miss out on the good parts.

                                                                                                                                                            

Thanks to these groups, and others like them, I’ve been able to handle shitty romantic situations since my pre-teen years. I’ve had countless girls rip my heart out and step on it – often times stepping on it repeatedly for years (you know who you are… jerks). But what I learned from friends, family, and bands like these is that I was never the only person going through that pain. Empathy is probably the most important thing in humanity. And being able to relate to others is the best way to move forward.

No comments:

Post a Comment