Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Why High School Is Better Than College

In a little over a month from now I will be attending the commencement ceremony for graduation – the completion of my bachelor’s degree at college. Many others have been through this road before, and many others are going through it now. Now that it is almost complete I can’t help but compare my college experience to my high school experience, and aside from academics, I can’t help but think one thing: high school was better than college.
Here are some reasons why…

Friends
Not these shitheads, I mean real friends.
I’ve probably met a third more people during college than I did in high school. Does meeting more people mean I made more friends? Not at all. 

My point here is through my experience, I’m trying to debunk the popular myth that high school is more segregated “clique-y” than college. Cause that ain’t the case.

High schools are almost always going to be smaller than colleges so when you’re around the same group of people for four years, weaving in and out of classes together within the same hallway, chances are you get to know them better. I liked this. I couldn’t count on both my hands how many people I talked to almost every day. I know I’m coming off as sounding like I was “popular” but I noticed every group whether it was the jocks, or the nerds, or the weirdos or whomever had centralized friends of at least 10 people but also talked to people from various groups.

This isn’t the same in college. After living in the dorms freshman year, most people either join a frat or a sorority, a club or sport, or live in a suite. These people become the only people they go out with and talk to. They live in their little microcosm and venture off only rarely. Not that this is terrible, but it’s typical to society; people find their niche. I did as well, so all is fair.

Sure I still see people who I talked to often freshman year while I’m walking through campus. Should I feel like an asshole if I don’t say “what’s up?” as I walk past? Why should I? What the hell am I going to say to them, “Oh we haven’t talked in a real long time and this is awkward but hope you have a good day!” I’ll save that conversation for when I see them at the bars…

Partying
Party, Party Party
People always talk about college partying like it’s the end all and be all of partying in an average person’s lifespan. Unless you’re a rockstar, maniac, or Charlie Sheen you can never get away with partying hard as an adult. And sure college parties are crazy, and do get out of control. They can also be a lot of fun and great experiences. I still never had as much fun at a party in college as I did in high school.

There’s a reason for this: partying in college is expected, partying in high school is forbidden. 

There’s something about being rebellious as a teenager. There are countless movies and books written about it, but the only way to actually know how it feels is to live it. And although I wasn’t some demon child whose sole purpose was to squander all the moral lessons my parents taught me, I still did things I wasn’t allowed to do because breaking the rules was fun. 

Four years ago, if I went out to drink I’d have to do it either while someone’s parents weren’t home, or in a park or a sump. Do you know what a sump is? It’s a low space that collects run-off water. It’s dirty and disgusting and I’d have to walk through the woods to get there. But you know what? At seventeen, it was fucking awesome.

I’m 21-years-old right now. If I don’t go out to drink it’s seen as strange. Now when I go out to a drinking establishment such as a bar I’m tortured by shitty music, shitty people, and overpriced beer. The perks of getting older…

Happiness 
Happy... So So Happy
No matter how old you get, or what you’ve been through in your life, the feeling of true happiness is always the same. The opening of presents on Christmas morning, the first time you hear that record you know will change your life, and the embrace of someone you love. All these things bring that shiver up and down your spine and all over your body till every hair on your arms stands up.

Happiness doesn’t change, but ideals change. The older I get the more innocence I lose, and the less idealistic I am. And you know what made me happy? My brash idealism that existed in my teen years.

Nobody could say anything to me. I was going to do what I wanted to do with my life, and whatever consequence that arose from what I did was meant to be. 

But each year that goes by I wish I had done things differently. Maybe it’s because I’m graduating college without any real plan, so I look back and think of the “what ifs?” 

What if I had gotten better grades in high school?

What if I didn’t have these loans to pay off?

What if I had ended up with her? Or HER? Or maybe even HER?

And then I stop thinking because I know thinking of these things will do me no good.

If I had that idealism I had in high school, I wouldn’t give a shit right now. Unfortunately I’ve grown up which means I’ve replaced my brash idealism with a hopeful realistic viewpoint. And here it goes:
   
1)      I’m going to maintain healthy friendships with the most positive people in my life.

2)      I’m going to party when I want to, how I want to, and where I want to.

3)      I’m in control of my happiness and no matter what happens, I’ll be able to handle it.


I guess I’m done for now. If you read all this, thank you – and don’t worry next week will be more bullshit jokes, I promise.

3 comments:

  1. Just letting you know I completely agree with every bit of this.
    I miss high school!

    ReplyDelete
  2. 100% agreed. People always look at me weird when I say I liked high school more than college.

    ReplyDelete